FREDERICK, Md. - The Gallaudet University women's cross country team placed 10th out of 13 teams here Saturday at the Hood College Open hosted at Utica Park. The Bison tallied 305 team points.
Eastern University won the meet with 28 points as the Eagles had four runners in the top six spots. Salisbury University was second with 46 points followed by Franklin & Marshall College (63), Wilkes University (132) and McDaniel College (176) to round out the top five. Meggan Grams, an unattached runner, won the 6K race that featured 135 runners in 21 minutes, 43.8 seconds. Eastern junior Katelyn Bernotas was the second runner to cross the finish line and the first collegiate runner with a time of 22:21.4.
Gallaudet freshman Courtney Hocog (Fontana, Calif.) was the first Bison to finish, 55th overall, with a time of 26:56.0. Hocog's time was 31 seconds off cracking Gallaudet's women's 6K Top 10 list. Junior Taylor Nguyen (Ballwin, Mo.) was the next GU runner to finish as she placed 87th (29:58.4). The duo of sophomore Sierra Pratt (Katy, Texas) and senior Fatuma Ali (Tucson, Ariz.) finished within a few seconds of each other as they placed 101st (32:04.5) and 103rd (32:15.8), respectively. Freshman Jenny Mendis (Brook Park, Ohio) rounded out Gallaudet's team score as she placed 109th (33:10.4).
- Freshman Mariana Arroyo Chavez (Mexico City, Mexico) just missed the team score cut as she was GU's sixth finisher in 111th place (33:23.4)
- Freshman Aleena Nicoloro (Redding, Conn.) placed 127th (40:10.7)
- Freshman Cassidy Lebaron (Mesa, Ariz.) was right after Nicoloro in 128th (41:00.4)
- Freshman Alexys Santiago (Hatboro, Pa.) placed 130th (41:33.2)
- Freshman Abigail Barker (Knoxville, Tenn.) finished 132nd (41:56.5)
- Gallaudet's average time was 30:53
GU is off a week before it travels to Cobleskill, N.Y., on Saturday, Nov. 2, for the 2019 North Eastern Athletic Conference championships.