BALTIMORE - Down two sets here Tuesday night, Gallaudet University rallied to win the next three en route to a 3-2 women's volleyball win over Notre Dame of Maryland University. The win is the first for GU (1-8) this season and snaps a nine-match losing streak dating back to last season.
Gallaudet dropped the first two sets 18-25 and 14-25 to Notre Dame (5-2), who had won its previous five matches.
The Bison bounced back with a 25-17 win in the third set and a thrilling 25-22 fourth set win to set up a fifth and decisive set. GU had picked up the momentum from the fourth set, where the Gators rallied late before they lost, and jumped out early on the host in the fifth set to win 15-8.
Junior outside hitter Karita Lewis (Frederick, Md.) and freshman middle hitter Cassidy Perry (Frederick, Md.) led the Bison with 11 kills. Lewis added a team-high 15 digs and three aces while Perry had three block assists. Freshman setter Demi Bingham (Jefferson, Md.) passed out a game-high 37 assists to go with eight digs.
Notre Dame was led by Michaila Sheedy's 14 kills to go with three block solos and three block assists. Sara Few passed out 26 assists and served up four of the Gators' 10 aces.
- GU served up 10 aces in the match
- Junior Elina Rubinshteyn (Austin, Texas) tallied nine kills
- Freshman Leila Sicoli (Austin, Texas) recorded 12 digs and two aces
- Sophomore Mia Upchurch (Austin, Texas) made 11 digs
- Freshman Malia Zornoza (Pleasanton, Calif.) had six kills, one block solo and two block assists
- This was GU's third five-set match in the past five days
- Gallaudet is now 1-2 in five-set matches this season
Gallaudet will next participate in the Stevenson University Tournament this weekend. The Bison will go up against Salisbury University (7-0) on Friday, Sept. 13, at 8 p.m.