AURORA, N.Y. - The Gallaudet University women's swimming and diving program began North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) competition here Saturday against Wells College. The Bison lost 75-43 to the Express but many GU swimmers posted personal best times.
Gallaudet (0-7, 0-1 NEAC) won three of the 14 events while Wells (1-1, 1-0 NEAC) finished first in 11 events.
Senior Jessica Monroe (Senoia, Ga.) won two events as she touched the wall first in the 100- and 200-yard butterfly events with times of 1:21.27 and 3:00.25, respectively. Monroe added a second-place finish in the 200-yard backstroke (3:09.68).
Freshman Rebecca Vides (Haleiwa, Hawaii) record three second-place finishes and two personal time drops. Vides shaved off 16 seconds from her previous personal best time in the 200-yard IM, when she touched the wall in 2:56.03. Vides improved her personal time in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:30.64) and was second in the 200-yard breaststroke (3:22.89).
Freshman Dakota Ronco (La Mesa, Calif.) tallied three second-place finishes of her own and two personal time drops. Ronco improved her personal times in the 100- and 200-yard freestyle events with times of 1:15.07 and 2:42.20, respectively. She was second in the 50-yard freestyle when she posted a time of 32.51 seconds.
Gallaudet's 200-yard freestyle relay team earned first-place team points with a time of 2:50.34. That team consisted of Skyler Officer, freshman Solimar Aponte-Huertas (Williamsfield, Ohio), junior Alyssa Castillo (Selma, Calif.) and sophomore Jaelynn King (Springfield, Pa.).
The Bison 200-yard medley relay team of King, Vides, Monroe and Ronco took second to begin the meet with a time of 2:35.37. King (41.10) and Ronco (31.98) posted new personal best times in the 50-yard freestyle.
- King posted a personal best time in the 100-yard backstroke (1:45.63) as she finished third
- Castillo was third in the 200-yard freestyle (3:39.75)
- Freshman Aidan Kutsov (Newark, Calif.) was third in the 100-yard freestyle (1:45.25) and 500-yard freestyle (10:07.66), where in the process she set a new personal best time in the 200-yard freestyle (3:41.47)
- Freshman Paola Sarabia (Yuma, Ariz.) was third in the 1,000-yard freestyle (17:49.18)
- Castillo was fourth in the 50-yard freestyle (43.47) and 100-yard butterfly (2:17.53), new personal best time
- King was fourth in the 200-yard backstroke (3:55.88)
- Freshman Jenna Kutsov (Newark, Calif.) was fourth in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:55.68), new personal best time
- Sarabia had a pair of fourth-place finishes in the 100-yard backstroke (1:57.32) and 200-yard IM (4:08.47), a new personal best time
- Officer was fourth in the 200-yard breaststroke (4:05.85) as she set a new personal best time in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:52.81) in the process
- Aponte-Huertas was fourth in the 500-yard freestyle (11:08.59)
Gallaudet returns home to host Cazenovia College (0-6, 0-1 NEAC) and Cedar Crest College (1-2, 0-0 NEAC) on Saturday, Nov. 16, at 1 p.m.