WASHINGTON - It was a neck-and-neck women's swimming meet here Saturday between Gallaudet University and visiting Southern Virginia University in the Field House Pool. In the end, Southern Virginia escaped with a 125-108 win over Gallaudet (0-2). The Bison won six of the 14 events.
Sophomore Anquniece Wheeler (Detroit, Mich.) won three individual events and was on a first-place relay. Wheeler began her day in the 200-yard medley relay where she swam the second leg of four. She was joined by senior Jessica Monroe (Senoia, Ga.), freshman Rebecca Vides (Oahu, Hawaii) and freshman Dakota Ronco (San Diego, Calif.). Gallaudet's relay rolled to first place with a time of 2:26.60 to begin the meet.
Southern Virginia won the next four events before Wheeler snapped that streak with a first-place finish in the 100-yard butterfly (1:14.40). Wheeler was first in the 100-yard backstroke (1:09.22) by over eight seconds. She completed her day with a first-place finish in the 100-yard IM (1:12.23).
Monroe took first in the 50-yard butterfly (34.82) and second in the 1,000-yard freestyle (14:16.45).
Vides won the 100-yard breaststroke (1:31.35) and was second in the 100-yard butterfly (1:24.66), just under 10 seconds behind Wheeler.
Ronco was second in the 50-yard freestyle (33.98).
- Vides was third in the 100-yard IM (1:21.40), just over nine seconds behind Wheeler
- Monroe was third in the 100-yard backstroke (1:26.31)
- Ronco was third in the 100-yard freestyle (1:19.51) and 200-yard freestyle (3:06.35)
- Fresman Jenna Kutsov (Newark, Calif.) finished third in the 50-yard backstroke (52.71)
- Freshman Paola Sarabia (Yuma, Ariz.) took third in the 50-yard breaststroke (54.77) and 50-yard butterfly (56.69)
- GU's 200-yard freestyle relay was second (2:48.09)
GU will travel to Arlington, Va., next Saturday, Oct. 19, for a double-dual meet against Goucher College and the host, Marymount (Va.) University at 1 p.m.