COBLESKILL, N.Y. - The Gallaudet University women's soccer team escaped, 3-2, in its Saturday showdown with SUNY Cobleskill in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) game.
Gallaudet (5-9-1, 2-6-1 NEAC) scored the game's first two goals and held off SUNY Cobleskill (3-12-1, 1-7-1 NEAC), down the stretch as the Fighting Tigers scored two of the final three goals.
After the intermission, Gallaudet scored its second goal just 19 seconds into the second half. Hernandez scored her third goal of the season off a deflection made by SUNY Cobleskill goalie Abigail Wetsel (seven saves).
The Fighting Tigers finally got on the scoreboard in the 65th minute when Chole Antalek scored an unassisted goal past GU senior goalie Silvya Levesque (Ballston Spa, N.Y.).
Freshman Payton DeGraw (Salt Lake City, Utah), who started the game in net for the Bison, played the field in the second half and scored her fifth goal of the season off an assist from fellow freshman Henrianne Jansen (Apeldoorn, Netherlands) at the 73:37 mark.
SUNY Cobleskill responded, two minutes later, when Antalek assisted Ana Post on an 18-yard goal to cut the Bison lead to one, 3-2.
Levesque finished the game with three saves while DeGraw recorded seven saves in the first half.
- Gallaudet held a 22-16 edge in shots
- Sophomore Hannah Neild (Litchfield, N.H.) led the Bison with eight shots (three on goal)
- The Bison took seven corner kicks while SUNY Cobleskill tallied five
- GU has won three of its last four games, all three wins on the road
- The Bison have a two-game winning streak
- Gallaudet finished the regular-season with a winning record on the road 5-3-1
Gallaudet returns home to host the final two regular-season games of the season. GU will host Cazenovia College (6-7-1, 3-4-1 NEAC) on Friday, Nov. 1, at 3 p.m.