WASHINGTON - Gallaudet University won its first game of the new decade as the Bison took down Wells College, 64-24, here Saturday afternoon in the Field House.
Gallaudet (3-7, 1-1 NEAC) broke open the game in the first quarter as it used a 19-2 run to take a 23-6 lead. The Bison continued to add to their lead in the second quarter and took a 37-12 lead into halftime.
In the third quarter, Gallaudet outscored Wells by 17 points, 21-4, as the game was in hand against the Express (0-11, 0-2 NEAC).
Wells scored eight points to GU's six in the final 10 minutes of play.
GU had three players in double figures led by junior guard Emelia Beldon (Frederick, Md.), who netted a season-high 17 points, nine rebounds and eight assists to just miss the triple-double. Freshman forward Cassidy Perry (Frederick, Md.) added 14 points and fellow freshman Sunita Schmidjorg (Austin, Texas) added 11 points and five assists.
Junior forward Jordan Jacobs recorded a double-double to pace the Express offense as she tallied 14 points and 12 rebounds to go with three blocks and two assists in the loss.
- GU shot a season best at the free throw line going 10-for-11 (90.9 percent)
- The Bison scored 28 points in the paint and tallied 22 fast break points
- Gallaudet scored 32 points off 29 Express turnovers
- GU led for over 37 minutes
- Beldon has 600 career points in three seasons
- This is the fifth time GU has scored 60 or more points in a game this year
GU turns around and will host Keuka College (5-4, 1-1 NEAC) tomorrow (Sunday, Jan. 12) at 2 p.m.