ARLINGTON, Va. - The Gallaudet University men's swimming and diving program traveled over to Marymount (Va.) University here Saturday for the Saints' home opener as they hosted a double-dual meet that also included Goucher College.
GU got clipped by Marymount, 152-92, and got edged out by Goucher, 131-108. The host Saints defeated Goucher, 135-98.
GU picked up three overall first-place finishes delivered by junior Ben Sealts (Ottawa, Ohio) and sophomore Barry McGrain III (Hemlock, N.Y.). Sealts won the 100-yard backstroke as he touched the wall in 55.50 seconds and the 200-yard freestyle (1:54.97). McGrain was the top swimmer in the 500-yard freestyle as he coasted to a first-place finish with a time of 6:10.61.
Sealts finished second overall in the 100-yard IM (56.47) as he was edged out by Marymount swimmer Teddy Pham (56.12). Sealts received first-place points against Goucher with the finish. Sealts' time (56.47) improves his own school record of 56.98 that he set back on Oct. 17, 2017.
Gallaudet's 200-yard medley relay team of sophomore Nick Hohrman (Fergus Falls, Minn.), Sealts, McGrain and freshman Solomon Worthey (San Diego, Calif.) finished fourth overall with a time of 2:04.90.
- Freshman Andrew Makarewicz (Gaylord, Mich.) was third overall in the 1,000-yard freestyle (16:24.16) followed by sophomore Abe Polanco (Devine, Texas) in fourth (17:22.18)
- Hohrman was third overall in the 50-yard butterfly (30.64)
- McGrain was fourth in the 200-yard freestyle (2:14.32) as he was under 20 seconds behind Sealts
- McGrain took fourth in the 100-yard butterfly (1:19.99)
- Hohrman was fourth overall in the 50-yard freestyle (27.62)
- Junior Rett Jala (McAllen, Texas) was fourth overall in the 50-yard backstroke (38.71) followed by freshman Antoine Hunter Jr. (Pittsburgh, Pa.) in fifth (40.89)
- Junior Xiangming Liu (Dandong, China) finished fourth overall in the 50-yard breaststroke (49.56)
- GU's 200-yard freestyle relay (2:45.04), third overall, earned second-place points against Marymount and Goiucher
GU is off next week before the Bison travel to Bridgewater, Va., for a meet on Saturday, Nov. 2, against Bridgewater (Va.) College at 1 p.m.