WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University men's swimming and diving program glided to an easy 128-29 victory over Cazenovia College here Saturday afternoon in the Field House House pool in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) meet.
Gallaudet (2-5, 2-0 NEAC) won 9 of 10 events over an undermanned Cazenovia squad that had two men's swimmers.
Sophomore Nick Hohrman (Fergus Falls, Minn.) won three individual events as he took first in the 1,000-yard freestyle as he cruised to a tune of 13 minutes, 3.69 seconds. Hohrman followed that with a first-place finish in the 200-yard IM (2:40.15) and 100-yard backstroke (1:11.59).
Junior Ben Sealts (Ottawa, Ohio) racked up wins in the 50-yard frestyle (23.81) and 500-yard freestyle (5:09.94).
Sophomore Barry McGrain III (Hemlock, N.Y.) finished first in the 200-yard freestyle (2:09.82) and 100-yard butterfly (1:15.80) and was second in the 200-yard IM (2:56.73) behind Hohrman by over 16 seconds.
Freshman Peter Tran (Fountain Valley, Calif.) won the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:39.55 while junior teammate Xiangming Liu (Dandong, China) was second (1:49.03). Tran took over six seconds off his previous best personal time in that event.
Cazenovia's Miguel Rivera won the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 1:02.00 and was followed by his teammate Connor Yorks (1:04.16) in second place.
Gallaudet's 200-yard freestyle relay team of freshman Kai Christenberry (Birmingham, Ala.), Tran, junior Lukas Morkevicius (Seattle, Wash.) and Sealts won in 2:13.15 over GU's second relay team of Liu, freshman Wolfgang Staley (Fairfax, Va.), Hohrman and freshman Solomon Worthey (San Diego, Calif.), who finished in 2:17.17 to conclude the meet.
- Sealts posted a personal best time of 23.49 in the 50-yard freestyle during the relay leg
- Junior Rett Jala (McAllen, Texas) was second in the 100-yard butterfly (1:24.00) and third in the 1,000-yard freestyle (16:51.91)
- Morkevicius was third in the 100-yard freestyle (1:04.54) and 50-yard freestyle (28.52) with personal best times in both events
- Freshman Andrew Makarewicz (Gaylord, Mich.) was second in the 1,000-yard freestyle (15:50.82) with a new personal best time
- Worthey was third in the 200-yard freestyle (2:51.13)
- Makarewicz finished third in the 100-yard backstroke (1:29.36) and 200-yard IM (3:15.46)
- Staley was a distant third in the 500-yard freestyle (8:41.10)
- Christenberry was fourth in the 100-yard freestyle (1:15.50), a new personal best time
- Liu placed fourth in the 200-yard freestyle (3:57.08)
Gallaudet will take the next few weeks off before it dives back into the pool against Hampden-Sydney College on Saturday, Dec. 7, in Sweet Briar, Va., at 1 p.m.