WASHINGTON - Gallaudet University's defense did a good job to slow Hampden-Sydney College here Wednesday night in a men's basketball non-conference game in the Field House. The Bison held the Tigers to its lowest point total this season but in the end GU came up short, 62-52.
Gallaudet (0-4) trailed by as much as 11 points in the second half. The Bison stormed back and cut the margin to three points, 51-48, with 5:04 left in regulation after sophomore guard Corey Smith (Miami, Fla.) made one of his four 3-pointers in the game. H-SC missed its own 3-point attempt and allowed GU a chance to come down the court and knot the game for the first time since four minutes into the game. Senior guard Noah Valencia (Riverside, Calif.) hoisted a 3-point shot but missed as the Tigers answered with a Kevin Quinn (17 points) jumper at the 4:13 mark.
Sophomore forward Matt Sherman (Angora, Minn.) made a jumper to pull Gallaudet within three points, once more, but that was as close as the Bison got.
Hampden-Sydney (1-3) closed out the game on a 9-2 run over the final three minutes of play. Forward Jack Wyatt finished with a double-double of 13 points and 12 rebounds.
Smith scored a team-high 15 points to go with eight rebounds while Valencia finished with 11 points and 10 rebounds for a double-double.
The two teams shot over 32 percent from the field in the first half as Gallaudet held a 28-27 lead at intermission.
- Senior center Steve Valencia-Biskupiak (Riverside, Calif.) finished with five points, four boards, three blocks, two assists and one steal
- Freshman Rory Lewis (Frederick, Md.) came off the bench to make two 3-pointers, his first collegiate points
- GU scored 14 points off 18 turnovers committed by the Tigers
- H-SC's bench contributed 23 points
- The game featured six lead changes and three ties
- H-SC led for over 33 minutes
Gallaudet will hit the road this weekend and face Baruch College (1-1) in New York City on Saturday, Nov. 23, at 2 p.m. in a non-conference game.