OWINGS MILLS, Md. - The Gallaudet University women's volleyball team was swept here Thursday night on the road against Stevenson University 25-17, 25-22, 25-19.
Gallaudet (7-10) jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead over Stevenson (13-7) in the first set but the in-region power Mustangs battled back and regained the lead and never trailed the rest of the night.
Freshman middle hitter Adele Daniels (Frederick, Md.) led the Bison with 12 kills, seven digs, one assist and one service ace. Junior outside hitter Darriyan Thomas (Vallejo, Calif.), the two-time defending North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) Player of the Week, was held to 11 kills, eight digs, one assist and one service ace in the loss.
Stevenson was paced by Annika Schwartz's 15 kills, six digs and three service aces. She surpassed 1,000 career kills late in the second set.
- Junior setter Jasmine Jeter (Noblesville, Ind.) passed out 21 assists, recorded three service aces and three digs
- Sophomore libero Raelyn Fuechtmann (South St. Paul, Minn.) led all players with 12 digs
- Freshman Maria Elena Rendon (Espanola, N.M.) added three kills and three digs
- The Mustangs served up 10 aces
- GU has lost seven straight times to Stevenson, all 3-0 losses
- The Bison last defeated the Mustangs seven years to the day (Sept. 29, 2009) on the road with a 3-1 victory
Gallaudet ventures back into NEAC play this weekend as the Bison travel to Morristown, N.J., where they will face Penn St.-Abington and Bryn Athyn College on Saturday, Oct. 1.