ST. MARY'S CITY, Md. - The Gallaudet University women's volleyball team was swept here Tuesday night by the host Seahawks of St. Mary's (Md.) College in straight sets; 25-19, 25-20, 25-18, at the O'Brien ARC Arena.
Gallaudet (1-7) held a three-point lead midway through the second set, 12-9, before St. Mary's (7-3) inched back into the set. The Seahawks tied the set on a GU attack error and two more Bison attack errors gave the host team the lead for good, 18-16.
Junior outside hitter Darriyan Thomas (Vallejo, Calif.) led the way for the Bison with nine kills and 18 digs while freshman middle hitter Adele Daniels (Frederick, Md.) added eight kills, seven digs and two service aces.
St. Mary's was led by Alli Graf's nine kills, 10 digs, two service aces and one block. Mimi Graf passed out 25 assists and 13 digs. Three different Seahawks had 10 or more digs in the straight set victory.
- Freshman outside hitter Maria Elena Rendon (Espanola, N.M.) added six kills, six digs, three block assists
- Sophomore libero Raelyn Fuechtmann (South St. Paul, Minn.) made a match-high 21 digs
- Junior setter Jasmine Jeter (Noblesville, Ind.) passed out 22 assists
- Freshman outside hitter Camryn Skari (Federal Way, Wash.) had one block solo and two block assists
- Both teams had eight service errors and 18 or more attack errors
Gallaudet begins North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) play this weekend in Cobleskill, N.Y. The six-time defending NEAC champions will face Morrisville State College (6-4) and SUNY Poly (3-4) on Friday night before two more conference matches on Saturday.