COBLESKILL, N.Y. - Gallaudet University wasted little time here Saturday in its North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) women's soccer game against SUNY Cobleskill. Freshman forward Danielle Wheeler (San Jose, Calif.) scored a goal a minute into the game and netted her second in the eighth minute as the Bison led 2-0 early on. Wheeler added two more second half goals as Gallaudet rolled to a 9-0 victory.
Gallaudet (6-3, 2-2 NEAC) received goals from four different players with Wheeler leading the way with four goals and one assist. Junior forward Brittany Mallach (Milton, Ontario) scored her third hat trick of the season as she netted three consecutive goals to help GU take a 5-0 lead into halftime. Mallach was assisted on two of her three goals as freshman defender Merri Lindsey (Blanchester, Ohio) and freshman midfielder Sabrina Hernandez (Ashland, Va.) provided assists.
The Bison outshot SUNY Cobleskill (0-10, 0-3 NEAC) by 18, 21-3, in the first half.
In the second half, Wheeler scored her third goal just a minute in. Her fourth and final goal came 11 minutes later on an unassisted goal past SUNY Cobleskill goalie Samantha Springstead (16 saves). This is Wheeler's fourth hat trick of the season.
Junior midfielder Sabina Shysh (Tucson, Ariz.) scored her fourth goal of the season off an assist from Wheeler in the 58th minute. Hernandez capped the scoring for GU in the 63rd minute with an unassisted goal.
- Wheeler and Mallach lead the team with 14 goals each, tops in the NEAC
- Wheeler (30) and Mallach (28) are first and second, respectively, in points scored in the NEAC
- Sophomore goalie Silvya Levesque (Ballston Spa, N.Y.) made four saves in the win
- GU outshot Cobleskill 35-9
- Wheeler led the team with nine shots (six on goal) while Mallach had eight shots on goal
- Wheeler leads the NEAC with 66 shots
- The Bison took three corner kicks
- This is Gallaudet's third shutout this season
Gallaudet stays in New York and will make a trip over to SUNY Poly (6-1-1, 3-0-1 NEAC) tomorrow (Sunday, Oct. 8) at 2 p.m.