WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University women's basketball team lost a chance to end the fall semester on a high note as it lost 53-48 to St. Mary's College of Maryland here Sunday afternoon in the Field House on Padden Court in a non-conference game.
The two teams played a close game throughout the contest. The teams were tied after the first quarter (14-14) and at the half (25-25). In the second half, the teams changed leads four times and saw four more ties before the Seahawks (3-6) came away with the five-point win late. Gallaudet (5-7) held a two-point lead, 42-40, in the fourth quarter with four minutes left in regulation.
St. Mary's scored 13 of the next 19 points thanks to guard Olivia Nowlin scoring eight of her team-high 16 points in the final four minutes. Fellow guard Kerri Kline scored four of her 11 points down the stretch to help the Seahawks end a four-game losing streak.
Gallaudet junior Hannah Neild (Litchfield, N.H.) scored a game-high 28 points to go with 13 rebounds. She also made a game-high seven steals and had one block in the loss. Freshman Emelia Beldon (Frederick, Md.) led the team with seven assists and was second with 10 rebounds before she fouled out.
- Senior Kori Koss (Delavan, Wis.) scored six points while junior Kelli Barnes (Cliffside, N.C.) added five points and seven rebounds
- The Bison outrebounded the Seahawks by nine, 47-38
- GU scored 15 points off 20 SMC turnovers
- Gallaudet held a 22-14 edge in points scored in the paint
- SMC received 16 points from its bench
- This is only the second time this season that GU didn't shoot over 30 percent from the field
- Fifth time this season GU had 22 free throw attempts in a game
- Gallaudet went 3-4 during the month of December
- The Bison finish the first semester with a 2-5 mark at home
Gallaudet is off until the New Year when the Bison (3-1 NEAC) will go up against Lancaster Bible College (5-5, 4-0 NEAC) on January 9, 2018, on the road, in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) game.