LANCASTER, Pa. - A strong start by Gallaudet University was erased by Lancaster Bible College in the second quarter here Tuesday night in a North Eastern Athletic (NEAC) women's basketball game at the Horst Athletic Center. The host Chargers won 76-53.
Gallaudet (5-8, 3-2 NEAC) took a 13-7 lead and later increased it to 16-9 before Lancaster Bible (7-7, 5-0 NEAC) responded. The Chargers trimmed the lead to three, 18-15, after the first 10 minutes of play.
GU built its lead to 22-18 to start the second quarter before Lancaster Bible went on a 15-0 run and took a 37-27 lead into halftime.
The Bison were outscored 39-26 in the second half including the decisive fourth quarter where LBC scored 19 points to GU's nine.
Junior guard Sabina Shysh (Tucson, Ariz.) scored a season-high 18 points as she made 7 of 13 shots from the field. Freshman Emelia Beldon (Frederick, Md.) added 14 points while junior Hannah Neild (Litchfield, N.H.) had an off night. Neild only made 2 of 10 shots from the field as she was held to a career low eight points.
Lancaster Bible forward Courtney Goyak recorded her third 20-20 game as she scored 24 points and grabbed 20 rebounds. Guards Kirsten Webster (17 points) and Caitlin Hickey (13) combined to net 31 points.
- Senior Lawjen Ashmore (Fairbanks, Alaska) scored seven points off the bench
- Neild saw her streak of 12 straight games scoring double figures halted
- GU scored 20 points off 19 Charger turnovers
- LBC held a huge 46-19 advantage in rebounds
- The Chargers outscored GU 40-26 in the paint
- GU has never beaten LBC and is 0-14 in the series history
Gallaudet returns home and will host Wells College (2-9, 1-2 NEAC) in a conference game on Saturday, Jan. 13, at 3 p.m.