COLLEGEVILLE, PA. – The Gallaudet University men's indoor track and field team competed here Saturday at the Bow Tie Classic hosted by Ursinus College. Gallaudet finished seventh overall with 35 team points.
Ursinus won the meet with 112.50 points followed by Lincoln (Pa.) in second place with 94.50 points followed by Delaware Valley (77.50), Rutgers-Camden (55), Hood College (41) and Neumann (39). There were 11 teams to earn team points in the meet.
Gallaudet's women's indoor track and field team did not travel to the Bow Tie Classic.
Sophomore Toraneau Varice (Deerfield Beach, Fla.) was one of GU's top finishers. Varice finished fourth overall in the 60-meter dash with a time of 7.22 seconds. Varice was fourth in the 200-meter dash as he crossed the finish line in 23.43 seconds.
Freshman long-distance runner Dalton Attanasi (Hammonton, N.J.) was the lone Bison to compete in the 5,000 meter run. Attanasi was able to lock up sixth place with a time of 20:47.28.
Multi-event racers Nick Jones (Fulton, Mo.) and John Isaacson (Clive, Iowa) were highly competitive for the Bison. Jones, a freshman, took seventh place in the 400-meter dash with a time of 54.89 seconds and finished in eighth in the 200-meter dash (24.01). Isaacson competed in the 60-meter hurdles as well as the 800-meter run. His 9.94 second finish was good for sixth place in the hurdles while his 2:12.41 time in the 800-meter run landed the senior in seventh place.
- Sophomore Antoine McKinney (Racine, Wis.) finished fourth in the triple jump (11.2 meters) and ninth in the long jump (4.99 meters)
- Freshman Heath Hampton was 12th in the shot put (9.83 meters)
- Sophomore Ronald Mattingly (Coconut Creek, Fla.) threw the shot 7.52 meters to place 18th
- Freshman Rusmir Kasumovic (Newport Richey, Fla.) was right behind Mattingly in 19th place in the shot put (7.39 meters)
- Freshman Chukwudi Kalu (Waldorf, Md.) finished the 60-meter dash in 8.62 seconds, placing him in 19th place
- Freshman Spencer Maples (Kempner, Texas) finished 18th overall in 200-meter dash (25.64 seconds)
- Freshman Harsh Shah (Philadelphia, Pa.) finished 20th overall in the 800-meter run (3:01.1)
The Gallaudet men's indoor track and field team is off until the New Year and will next compete in the Orange & Maroon Classic hosted by Susquehanna University on Saturday, Jan. 21, at 10 a.m.