NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - The Gallaudet University men's track and field team had a successful outing as they competed in the New Captains Classic, hosted by Christopher Newport University, on April 14-15.
For the first time this year, members of the men's track and field team competed in the decathlon consisting of 10 different track and field events during the two-day meet.
Freshmen Jack Gray (Atherton, Calif.) and Kai Christenberry (Birmingham, Ala.) both represented Gallaudet in the decathlon. Gray accumulated a total of 5,134 points and placed second overall followed by Christenberry in fifth place (3,693 points).
During the decathlon, Gray took first place in two events and second place in four events. Gray's top finishes came in the 1,500-meter run (4:42.68) and the javelin throw, when his best throw checked in at 50.77 meters (166 feet, seven inches).
Gallaudet's sprinters and hurdlers also continued to have success during the meet as many personal records were set.
Senior John Isaacson (Clive, Iowa) was the top finisher in an individual event for the Bison. Isaacson took second place in his heat and second place overall in the 400-meter hurdles as he finished in 59.97 seconds.
Sophomore Toraneau Varice (Deerfield Beach, Fla.) placed fifth in the 100-meter dash, as he crossed the finish line in 11.10 seconds.
Crossing the finish line just behind Varice was sophomore Jamie Cumberbatch (Waldorf, Md.) who finished in 10th place with a time of 11.75 seconds.
Varice also went on to compete in the 200-meter dash, where he finished in eighth (22.13).
Freshman sprinter Nick Jones (Fulton, Mo.) took first place in his heat and 10th place overall in the 400-meter dash (51.03).
Varice, Cumberbatch and Jones were joined by junior Montray Roberts (Dallas, Texas) as the sprinters earned third place in the 4x100 meter relay (43.83)
- Jones placed fifth in the long jump event when he jumped 6.43 meters (21 feet, 1.25 inches)
- Isaacson, Varice, Jones and Lorenzo Fuller (Miami, Fla.) placed sixth in the 4x400 meter relay with (3:28.81)
- Sophomore Gunner Hahn (Stevens Point, Wis.) placed fifth in the 400-meter hurdles (1:02.85)
- Freshman JaQuan Thomas (Midway, Ga.) took 15th place in the shot put when he threw for 11.21 meters (36 feet, 8.5 inches)
- Freshman Connor Henze (Elk Point, S.D.) placed 25th in the 800-meter run (2:19.31) and was the top finisher for the Bison in the event
The Bison will travel to Durham, N.C., to compete in the Atlantic Independent Outdoor Track and Field Championships hosted by Methodist University on Thursday, April 20.