DURHAM, N.C. - For the first time in seven years the Gallaudet University men's and women's track and field program competed in a conference championship. The Bison participated in the first Atlantic Independent Track and Field Championship hosted by Methodist University here Thursday at Durham County Memorial Stadium.
The Bison men's team finished fourth overall with 112 team points. The host Monarchs won the championship with 177 points and was followed by Piedmont College (135 points), Pfeiffer University (121), Gallaudet and Covenant College (50).
Gallaudet won two events as many Bison finished in the top three spots in 11 different events.
Gray was second in the pole vault as he cleared 2.55 meters (eight feet, 4.25 inches) followed by freshman Kai Christenberry (Birmingham, Ala.) in third place with the same result.
Freshman thrower JaQuan Thomas (Midway, Ga.) was third in the shot put with a toss of 11.83 meters (38 feetm 9.75 inches) and third in the discus with a throw of 34.23 meters (112 feet, four inches).
Gallaudet's other victory came in the 110-meter hurdles where sophomore Gunner Hahn (Stevens Point, Wis.) and senior John Isaacson (Clive, Iowa) finished first and second, respectively. Hahn crossed the finish line in 16.10 seconds followed by Isaacson (18.09).
Hahn placed third in the high jump when he cleared 1.75 meters (five feet, 8.75 inches).
Sophomore Toraneau Varice (Deerfield Beach, Fla.) had a pair of second-place finishes in several key spring events. Varice finished second in the 100-meter dash with a time of 10.95 seconds to beat out teammate Jones in fifth place (11.28). The same two finished in the same spots in the 200-meter dash as Varice was second (22.00) and Jones fifth (22.65). Varice's time ties a school record in the 200-meter dash that Rohan Smith set on May 7, 1988, in the Mason-Dixon Championships in Fredericksburg, Va.
Gallaudet's two relay teams finished in third place. The 4x100 meter relay team of junior Montray Roberts (Dallas, Texas), Varice, Jones and sophomore Jamie Cumberbatch (Waldorf, Md.) finished in 43.81 seconds. The Bison 4x400 meter relay team of Isaacson, Varice, Gray and Jones finished in 3:28.60.
- Jones was fourth in the 400-meter dash (50.52)
- Isaacson was fourth in the 400-meter hurdles when he crossed the finish line in 1:00.55 and was followed by Christenberry in fifth place (1:02.78) and Hahn in sixth (1:02.81)
- Freshman David Bradley (Miami Gardens, Fla.) was sixth in the shot put as his top throw went 11.27 meters (36 feet, 11.75 inches)
- Gray finished eighth in the javelin with a throw of 28.31 meters (92 feet, 10 inches)
- Senior Devaron Scott (Mocksville, N.C.) was eighth in the hammer with a toss of 26.53 meters (87 feet)
- Five different Bison finished in the 800-meter run
- GU last competed in a conference championship in 2010, when it was a member of the Capital Athletic Conference
Gallaudet returns home to host the Bison Invitational on Saturday, April 22, at the Thomas O. Berg Track at 9:30 a.m.