WASHINGTON – The Gallaudet University men's track and field team finished in second place at its own invitational on a sun-drenched Saturday at Thomas O. Berg Track. Gallaudet finished with 30 team points while Montgomery College won with 64 points.
Freshman Jamal Garner (Jacksonville, Ill.) was the lone Bison who finished first in his event, winning the high jump as he cleared 1.77 meters (5 feet, 9.5 inches). Garner nearly won the 110-meter hurdles, finishing .01 seconds behind Montgomery's first-place winner with a time of 16.57 seconds. He also finished second in two field events; the shot put with a throw of 12.35 meters (40 feet, 6.2 inches) and the discus throw with a throw of 34.19 meters (112 feet, 2.1 inches).
Several other Bison athletes had impressive performances in Gallaudet's home debut this season.
Sophomore sprinter Toraneau Varice (Deerfield Beach, Fla.) finished second in four events; the 100-meter dash (11.29 seconds), the 200-meter dash (22.84 seconds) and was a part of the 4x100-meter relay and the 4x400 meter relay teams.
Sophomore Shawn Benavente (Phoenix, Ariz.) was also a part of both second-place relay teams and also finished second in the 400-meter dash (53.29 seconds). Benavente placed eighth in the 200-meter dash (24.27 seconds). Sophomore Montray Roberts (Dallas, Texas) was a part of the 4x100 relay team and also finished third in the long jump with a jump of 5.57 meters (18 feet, 3.3 inches) and was ninth in the 200-meter dash (24.46 seconds).
Junior John Isaacson (Clive, Iowa) ran the third leg of the 4x400 meter relay and also finished second in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 1:00.26. Isaacson placed third in the 110-meter hurdles (18.30 seconds) and was fourth in the javelin throw with a distance of 27.81 meters (91 feet, 2.9 inches).
- GU's 4x100-meter relay team of Roberts, Varice, Isaacson and Benavente finished in second place (45.07 seconds)
- GU's 4x400-meter relay team of Roberts, Varice, Isaacson and Benavente also finished in second (3:44.32)
- Senior Todd Collins (East Islip, N.Y.) finished third in two different throwing events. His top shot put toss was 10.67 meters (35 feet) while his best discus throw went for 28.11 meters (92 feet, 2.7 inches)
- Roberts finished seventh in the 100-meter dash (12.18 seconds)
- Freshman Vicente Perez (Cicero, Ill.) finished second in the 5,000-meter run (17:07.70), third in the 800-meter dash (2:24.18), fourth in the 1,500-meter run (4:35.33 seconds)
- Junior Joshua Branscomb (Memphis, Tenn.) placed fourth in the 800-meter run (2:25.89) and 15th in the 200-meter dash (26.71 seconds)
Gallaudet will travel to Frostburg, Md., to participate in the Bobcat Invitational hosted by Frostburg State University, next Saturday, April 2.