ROANOKE, Va. – The Gallaudet University men's swimming and diving program posted its first win of the season here Saturday as the Bison defeated Ferrum College, 91-59, on the campus of Hollins University.
Gallaudet (1-3) won seven of the 11 events. No school records were set by freshman Chris Martinez (El Paso, Texas) but he took first place in three different individual events. Martinez was first to the wall in the 400-yard Individual Medley (IM) with a time of four minutes, 40.59 seconds. He also took first in the 100 freestyle (55.85 seconds) and 100 breaststroke (1:07.59).
Freshman Nickolas Roman (Lubbock, Texas) sprinted to a first-place finish in the 50 freestyle (24.02 seconds) and was first in the 100 backstroke (1:02.92). Senior David Bruno (Patchogue, N.Y.) was first in the 200 freestyle (2:48.39).
GU's seventh first-place finish came in the 400 freestyle relay comprised of Roman, freshman Setthawut Snow (St. Augustine, Fla.), junior Julian Simons (Austin, Texas) and senior Xuan Lin (Mount Prospect, Ill.) as the group finished in 4:39.15.
- Freshman Niko Lutes-Stein (Austin, Texas) was second in the 100 freestyle (1:06.51)
- Snow took second in the 500 freestyle (6:43.03)
- Bruno was third in the 100 butterfly (1:45.30)
- Lin placed third in the 100 breaststroke (1:23.57)
- Simons was a distant third in the 500 freestyle (10:07.39)
- GU's 200 medley relay team of Bruno, Lin, Snow and Lutes-Stein took second with a time of 2:21.09
Gallaudet travels to Cedar Crest College next Saturday, Nov. 19, at 3 p.m. to face Cazenovia College in a North Eastern Athletic Conference meet.