ALLENTOWN, Pa. - The Gallaudet University men's swimming and diving team opened up North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) competition with a 97-41 victory over Cazenovia College here Saturday on the campus of Cedar Crest College.
Gallaudet (2-3) was led by junior Jonathan Tikhonoff (Folsom, Calif.), freshman Nickolas Roman (Lubbock, Texas) and freshman Chris Martinez (El Paso, Texas). Tikhonoff, Roman and Martinez combined for seven of Gallaudet's nine first-place finishes.
Tikhonoff blew away the competition taking first place in the 200-yard freestyle (1:58.18), 100 freestyle (54.29) and the 500 freestyle (5:23.78) events. His strongest finish was the 500 freestyle, as he out swam the competition by one minute and 33 seconds.
Roman added two first-place finishes for the Bison. He reached the wall first in the 50 freestyle with a time of 23.82 seconds and then beat Cazenovia's Jeff Gaias by one minute in the 100 backstroke with a time of 1:02.30.
Martinez set another school record, this time in the 100-yard individual medley (IM) with a first-place finish and a time of 1:01.33, erasing the previous record of 1.03:33 held by Gideon Firl. Martinez also flew to a first-place finish in the 100 butterfly with a a time of 58.43 seconds.
- GU's 200 medley relay team consisting of Roman, senior Xuan Lin (Mount Prospect, Ill.), freshman Elan Markel (University Park, Md.) and freshman Niko Lutes-Stein (Austin, Texas) took first with a time of 2:05.30
- Senior David Bruno (Patchogue, N.Y.) placed second in the 1,000 freestyle (16:04.22) and third in 500 freestyle (7:44.87)
- Junior Julian Simons (Austin, Texas) took third in the 200 freestyle (3:30.13)
- Lutes-Stein placed second in the 50 freestyle (28.11), a personal best time
- Markel placed third in the 100 IM (1:08.12)
- Lin was a distant second in the 100 butterfly (1:20.17)
- GU's 400 freestyle relay team of Markel, Lutes-Stein, Bruno and Simons took first (4:55.56)
GALLAUDET PERSONAL RECORDS
|Event||Name||Old Time||New Time|
|50 freestyle||Nickolas Roman||24.25||23.82|
|50 freestyle||Niko Lutes-Stein||28.82||28.11|
|50 backstroke||Nickolas Roman||28.76||27.98
|100 freestyle||Julian Simons||1:28.46||1:28.24|
The Bison take the week off before they return to the pool on Saturday, Dec. 3, for a double-dual conference meet at 1 p.m. in Aurora, N.Y., against NEAC opponents Wells College and SUNY Cobleskill.