WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University men's soccer season got underway here Friday on a cool afternoon at Hotchkiss Field. The Bison offense never warmed up against Washington Adventist University as GU dropped the home and season opener, 2-0.
The visiting Shock (1-0) scored in the 24th minute to start the game and added a second mark with five minutes left in regulation to complete the shutout. Klem Garcia netted both goals for Washington Adventist in its opener as he tallied five shots on goal.
Sophomore goalie Noah Means-Simonsen (Louisville, Ky.) made eight saves as the Shock shot the ball 28 times, 10 on goal. Means-Simonsen's counterpart, Reynero Pacheco made two saves in the win.
GU picked up its shot total in the second half. The Bison (0-1) made six of their seven shots in the final 45 minutes of play. Freshman defenseman Kevin Fitzpatrick (Hopatcong, N.J.) led the team with three shots.
- Freshman Sean O'Callaghan (San Diego, Calif.) added two shots, one on goal
- Junior Alton Markel (Buda, Texas) had GU's other shot on goal
- Freshman Raymond Mukhailov (New York, N.Y.) recorded one shot
- Washington Adventist held a 13-6 edge in corner kicks
- Both teams had 13 fouls
- The Shock were offsides six times
- Gallaudet went offsides twice
Gallaudet will board a bus and head to southern Virginia to take on Ferrum College (1-0) tomorrow (Saturday, Sept. 2) at 1 p.m. in a non-conference game.