WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University men's basketball team got off to a hot start here Saturday against Catholic University of America at the DuFour Center in a non-conference game.
The Bison led 7-0 three minutes into the game and held a lead over the Cardinals (3-5) until seven minutes remained before halftime. Gallaudet (2-8) tied the game two more times before halftime where Catholic led 42-37.
Catholic outscored Gallaudet 49-27 in the second half and won by 27 points, 91-64.
Senior forward Andy Cruz (Bronx, N.Y.) led the Bison with 23 points as he made 9 of 15 shots from the field and grabbed four rebounds, made three blocks and two steals. Sophomore guard Noah Valenica (Riverside, Calif.) scored 15 of his 18 points on five 3-pointers, all in the first half.
Catholic was led by guard Andre Mitchell's game-high 33 points as he made 9 of 18 shots from the field and went 11-for-12 from the free throw line. The Cardinals had four players in double figures in the win.
- Junior center Jamal Garner (Jacksonville, Ill.) grabbed a team-high seven rebounds
- Sophomore guard Trace Martin (Shingle Springs, Calif.) scored eight points off the bench for GU
- Freshman guard Preston Kelly (Fishers, Ind.) led the team with five assists
- Cruz led the team in points, blocks and steals
- Cruz has scored 22 or more points in four games this season
- Both teams made nine 3-pointers each
- CUA held a 32-16 edge in points in the paint
- The Cardinals outrebounded the Bison 50-26
Gallaudet will host Nebraska Wesleyan University (8-0) tomorrow (Sunday, Dec. 17) at 2 p.m. in a non-conference game.