NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - The Gallaudet University baseball team played its first road game this season here Sunday and lost 14-1 to Christopher Newport University at Captains Park.
Gallaudet (4-5) fell behind early as it surrendered runs in the first four innings to the host Captains (9-8).
Christopher Newport scored three runs in the bottom of the first. The Captains added a run in the bottom of the second and third innings before a five-run fourth gave CNU a 10-0 lead.
Sophomore shortstop Cameron Upton (Vicksburg, Miss.) got Gallaudet's first hit in the fourth inning with a single down the right field line.
The Bison got on the scoreboard in the fifth as they took advantage of a Captains error to put runners on the corners. Senior Blake Phillips (Dalton, Ga.) singled home junior Dylan Hayes (Endicott, N.Y.), who walked and moved up on the throwing error.
CNU emptied the bench in the later innings and added a run in the seventh and three in the eighth. Josh Moore (2-for-2, two runs) smacked a three-run home run to right field off freshman Frank Diaz (Far Rockaway, N.Y.) in the bottom of the eighth.
GU freshman starting pitcher Connor Rosko (Austin, Texas) took the loss as he surrendered five runs (three earned), five hits and walked one in 2.1 innings. The Bison used five different pitchers in their first nine-inning game of the season.
CNU starting pitcher Logan Harrelson (1-3) picked up the win as he lasted five innings where he allowed one unearned run on two hits, walked two and struck out six. Five different relievers combined to hurl four scoreless innings in the win.
- Junior Michael Ehlers (Tinley Park, Ill.) made his season debut on the mound as he pitched 1.2 innings of relief late in the game where he allowed one run on two hits and one walk
- Freshman Robersy Delgado (Tampa, Fla.) made his team best fourth appearance in relief
- This was Rosko's collegiate debut as a starting pitcher
- Phillips went 2-for-3, one RBI to lead the Bison offense
- Junior Kyle Gumm (Dallas, Texas) walked twice and stole twice
Gallaudet returns home for a nine-inning non-conference game with McDaniel College (1-1) on Tuesday, March 7, at 3 p.m.